Ted Talks by Susan Pinker: The secret to living longer may be your social life

28 May Ted Talks by Susan Pinker: The secret to living longer may be your social life

Here’s an intriguing statistic: In the developed world, women live an average of six to eight years longer than men do. Six to eight years longer!

There is however one place in the world where men live as long as women. It’s a remote, mountainous area, where super longevity is common to both sexes. This is the blue zone in Sardinia, an Italian island in the Mediterranean, between Corsica and Tunisia, where there are six times as many centenarians as on the Italian mainland, less than 200 miles away. There are 10 times as many centenarians as there are in North America. It’s the only place where men live as long as women. Why?

According to psychologist Susan Pinker, it’s not a sunny disposition or a low-fat, gluten-free diet that keeps the islanders healthy — it’s their emphasis on close personal relationships and face-to-face interactions. ‘My curiosity was piqued. I decided to research the science and the habits of the place, and I started with the genetic profile. I discovered soon enough that genes account for just 25 percent of their longevity. The other 75 percent is lifestyle.’

In this Ted Talk, Pinker dissects the secrets of what it takes to live to 100 and beyond!